Monday, May 12, 2014

Hi!

This won't be a major update, but a few things you should all know!

Final Literacy Workshop Book Project

Today we introduced a book project that the kids are SO excited about. The direction/rubric/calendar will come home this week and they know their goal is to choose a book they will LOVE and love to SHARE and start reading. That gets us going and then we can get more information, directions, modeling etc. along the way. This project has a written and creative element, with room for some choice for kids to expand their project and shine!

This project will be the main homework for the remainder of the year, with a scattering of word study and math along the way. This group has come a long way in so many areas, and I love watching them be amazed with their own progress from academic to social to organizational. Awesome.

Fact Practice
Our 50 tests/graphed progress will continue through the end of the year. While I am not requiring a log, please be sure your child is practicing to improve/maintain.  If I notice that someone needs some encouragement or help with a plan, I will reinstate the log with them and create a plan. Some might really benefit from this scaffolding.

Social Studies and Science
Science is fresh in the students' minds as we have had the bulk of our 4th grade science content in this half of the year. We will finish up after the testing and then head into our final unit on the State of New Hampshire, exploring government, history and so much more.

The Science NECAP will be Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday this week, which you already know, and the kids are feeling confident.

Other
Please check the "Important Dates" section to be up to speed on the happenings for our class in the next 5 weeks. If anything changes, I will email.

Thank you for your never ending support for your children and myself as their teacher.  The progress and growth journey that students take from the start of 3rd grade to the end of 4th is amazing- something I feel so lucky to experience.

This year has not provided me with the time I usually like to take to detail for all of you what we are up to regarding curriculum (gee, I wonder why?) and I appreciate that you are all understanding about me figuring out my time with this new life as mom. I am always always available to answer questions about what we do here.

:) Jaclyn Karabinas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add comments or questions if you have them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.