Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Grateful for Blessings...

Dear Honeybee Families,
Thank you so much for the outpour of support and gratitude that so many in the community have expressed to LAS, and school communities in general, since Friday. Each night since, I lay in bed and run through any and all emergency procedures in my head to remind myself that yes- we are prepared as a school and a staff. I don't want to say anything to the children to cause them to create scenarios in their minds, but I hope they know that I would physically and emotionally shield them from anything, without hesitation. 

Ok! Now that I am teary, let's shift gears!

Christmas & Holiday Celebration
Our class will celebrate the holidays together on Friday afternoon at 1:45. Everyone is welcome to join us if you choose!

Maternity Leave Transition
I am really looking forward to January-March with the class. Each year, these are my favorite months with students, as the schedule holds limited interruptions. It is typically the time that I really see so many skills fall into place with the students and we are really able to dig in to our learning. I am so thankful that my baby isn't due until the end of March so I can still enjoy that time of learning with them!

That being said, the children may have mentioned to you that Jill Berry will be their teacher from March 15 through the end of the year.  Mark and I feel so confident about this for many reasons.  Jill is a teacher that has been substituting in our school for many years. I will let her completely introduce herself personally and professionally when we begin the new year. She has worked with the children from this class in their other classrooms from K-2 so that has truly created a base of experience with them as students.  Additionally, since she has been a part of our school community for so long, she is comfortable with staff, as well as all the nuts & bolts of LAS and the community. While I am not out often, I have asked that it be Jill as the substitute to increase their bonding time together.

She and I have already had a handful of meeting times together and will continue to meet during January and February. After February break, she and I will be co-teaching for a week or so, and then she will fully take over at the start of the 3rd trimester, March 18. (unless this baby girl comes reaaaallly early!) By the time Jill begins as their teacher, she will have full background information on the talents and needs of each student, of core learning goals, curriculum topics, classroom routines, and instruction/assessment strategies. I will leave no stone unturned!

Finally, when talking to the students I refer to Jill Berry as their other teacher. I don't want them to think of her as a substitute because at that point, she will have transitioned to being their teacher. We talk about it often so they can transition their minds with time, and honestly, I think they will adjust much more quickly than I will! I promised them baby updates via Edmodo. 

Other bits and pieces...
*If your child hasn't brought in his/her caroling permission slip yet, please make sure they do by Thursday.
*Our New Year begins together on Wednesday, January 2nd, 2013
*We will touch base in January so I can update you on the curricular happenings in our classroom.

As always, any questions- email me at jkarabinas@sau21.org

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you,
Jaclyn Karabinas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add comments or questions if you have them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.